Monday, March 17, 2014

Game Review: The Legendary Starfy

I review The Legendary Starfy.

Ah, childhood. Most people enjoyed their childhood in one way or another. It's fun being a kid. And for me, it was fun being able to play kids' video games without being ridiculed. Not that I don't still play kids' games. I just get ridiculed for it now. Anyway, there were a lot of great games that I played as a kid. Kirby, Super Mario Bros, Sonic the Hedgehog, they were all great. But in my mind, none of them compared to a game that was released at the same time as the Nintendo DSi. I never owned a DSi, but I did manage to acquire the launch title for it. The Legendary Starfy. That games was awesome, I don't care what anyone says. It rocked in a major way. I would have played through it again to do this review, but at some point between now and when I was 9 I managed to lose the game. So I will be writing about what I remember.

So, let's begin with the premise of the game. Starfy is the prince of what I believe is called Cloud Kingdom. He is a yellow star, and has a sister who is pink star named Starly. Starla? Starly? Starly. Definitely Starly. The story begins with, as I remember it, three guys breaking in to Starfy's castle and either stealing something or kidnapping Starly. I'm not sure on that. So, Starfy sets out with his best friend Moe the clam to save the kingdom.

The titular character, Starfy. (Image Source)
Appearance: Visually, the game is very reminiscent of the Kirby franchise. All the characters are very cute. VERY cute. I mean, just take a look at Starfy. Shit's adorable. And then the characters aren't meant to be cute they are badass. If I could find decent pictures of some of the super awesome bosses and enemies in the game, I would show them. But I can't, so I wont. Moving on from character design, the way the rest of the game looks is very nice. It always has an underwater feel to it, and it all looks good.

Sound: I remember one little bit of the soundtrack from this game, and it is embedded in my brain and starts playing whenever something exciting happens to me. It is the boss music for every boss in the game.

Gameplay: So, it's a platformer. You move from left to right. Fight things. As the game progresses, Starfy unlocks new moves that he can use on enemies, which is pretty cool. I don't remember much about the whole move unlocking thing. As I remember it, the game controls pretty well.

Story: As the game goes on the main story is pretty cool. There is a colorful cast of characters, though the three man villains faced throughout the game are mediocre at best. The primary protagonist is decent, though there isn't much development for him.

Other things: As with many games for the DS systmes, this game as some pretty cool extra features. One of my favorites is the collectible carachter figurines. You can put quarters or something into a machine and get virtual plastic figures of every character in the game. It's pretty neat for someone like me who has always loved collectible things. Another fun extra feature is the Moe Show. It was just a little thing in which Moe, Starfy's best friend, has a talk show and has characters from throughout the game come on the show and talk. I thought it was funny how the game broke the fourth wall in just a major way.

THE VERDICT
The Legendary Starfy is a good game. Great even. Though I played it years ago, I think I would enjoy playing it again and I would play it again if I still had it. Also, I recently discovered that there is a whole series of Starfy games released only in Japan, so I might try to get my hands on those and review them. That is all.

The Legendary Starfy gets an 8/10 on the awesome scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment