Friday, October 11, 2013

In which the blogger discusses pep band...

Ah, pep band. Every few weeks people gather in the stands to listen to us play, with a nice football game going in the background. It's quite nice, at least for them. For us it's cold and very tiring. By the end of the football game, we are all freezing our butts off. Despite the fact that everyone dresses very warmly, we all manage to be frozen after a while. But it's still fun. We play well even though our instruments are frosting up, which actually surprises me quite a bit. I myself an a sax player, meaning I don't have it off as bad as a trumpet or trombone or tuba or any other brass instrument for that matter. At least, not in that aspect. The thing about being a sax is that I can't wear gloves, so after just a few minutes I have lost feeling in my fingers. This, as you would probably imagine, makes it harder to play.
If you're wondering where all this is going, I'm just about to get to that part. All of this coldness and such were a huge problem, at least until I got my magical thermos. There's a picture of it at the bottom of the post. Not a picture of mine specifically, but the same kind that I have. Anyway, once I obtained the previously mentioned thermos, I discovered how useful they are for pep band when filled with liquid happiness(hot chocolate). Holding a cup of the hot chocolate from the thermos warms up my hands, drinking the hot chocolate from my thermos warms up my insides, and giving other people hot chocolate from my thermos gets them to stop bothering me about it. Of course, there are downsides. If I'm pouring myself a drink and suddenly the band starts playing, I jump(because I'm jumpy) and end up covered in cocoa. That, and the fact that until I give them some, the trumpets won't stop begging me for some hot chocolate, are really the only bad parts of owning a thermos. If you don't have one already, I highly recommend that you find one.
Really the only other thing about pep band that I can describe to you, the reader, is how weird it is when the tubas are coated in a layer of frost. It's just plain weird. Usually I write something on them with my finger. Last week it was the word "pants." I'm not sure why I chose pants, especially because tubas are nothing like pants. Other than that, all I can tell you, the reader, about pep band is that it is awesome and you should out your life on hold and travel as far as you need to to come hear us play. It will be worth it. Trust me.
 I got this from here. 

1 comment:

  1. I am in band at my school and feel your pain about being cold. I play the clarinet so we don't get gloves either :(

    ReplyDelete