Friday, April 4, 2014

My history with video games.

Most of my posts are about video games. Here's why.

So, when I was a spry young lad, I had absolutely no interest in anything electronic. Early on in my life all I cared about were LEGOs and Disney princesses(that's a story for another time). Anyway, every year on my birthday, my grandparents would take me out shopping with a budget of $100. And every year my grandmother would ask me if I wanted a GameBoy. At the time, I hand't the slightest idea of what a GameBoy was, and I had no interest in owning one. It wasn't until I made it to first grade and I met my friend Dan that I found out about video games. I was over at his house one day and he showed me a game on his computer called Spore. I, being the nerd that I was and am, was captivated by it. When I say I was a nerd, I mean I had only one friend, that friend being Dan. So I kind of hated being me. When I sound out that I could be something else, I was overcome with excitement. This was about a month before my seventh birthday, and the only thing I asked for was Spore. And I for it. And it was awesome. I spent as much time as I could building up my race of creatures, though I got stuck on the second phase and stopped playing the game.

Enter: The Nintendo DS! I found out about the DS at school when a kid was playing his on the playground. I of course, freaked out again. I can be something other than myself wherever I want?!?! I thought. At Christmas that year, I received my first DS. I had two games for it. Ninten-Dogs, and New Super Mario Bros. Both of those games I loved. I liked Ninten-Dogs because I was and am scared to death of most canines due to several unfortunate encounters that resulted in much pain. So it was nice for me to have dogs that were guaranteed not to harm me in any way. As for the Mario game, that was what really got me hooked on games. It was so fun, so bright, so colorful. I loved it. And it is what made me buy my third DS game. The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass. At the time, I had no idea that there were other, better Zelda games out there. But at that point, it didn't really matter. Phantom Hourglass was the first game that I got totally immersed in. I played it for hours on end, until I finally beat it. Then I played it again.
Young me, being happy with my DS. And yes, I actually own a propellor hat.
For a while after that, I only really played video games on my DS. It wasn't until the year 2010 that I expanded my horizons. It was in that year that my friend James told me about a computer came called Minecraft. I purchased it, thus issuing in a new era of gaming for me. A few months after I got Minecraft, I heard about a game called Terraria that was supposedly like Minecraft only better. I got it, but in order for me to do so I had to get Steam, a gaming program for the PC. It was then that I was introduced to the true world of gaming. For one and a half years I played all the newer games. Then I was introduced to older games. Games like The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Final Fantasy VI and VII. I then started acquiring old games from the golden age of gaming, playing as many as possible in an attempt to replicate growing up in that era with those games.

And that brings us to where I am now. I currwently have an obscene amount of games in my Steam library that I haven't finished, which I am constantly trying to change, to no avail(thanks a lot Humble Bundle).

No comments:

Post a Comment