Friday, May 9, 2014

Game Review: Story War

This week's review is a bit different. It is for a card game rather than a video game. This card game is entitled Story War.



Image Source
The gist of the game is that the different players draw five cards.

Warrior Card:
The warrior card is the warrior that the player controls. Each player draws three warrior cards, but they may only choose one to use.
Image Source
Item Card:
Each player draws two item cards; they may use one of them in battle. Some items can be used more than once, and all of them have a different effect.
Image Source
After all the players have drawn their cards, the one player who was previously appointed the judge, draws a location card, which is where the battle between the other players' warriors will be taking place.
Image Source
I've only gotten to play the game once, and not to its full capacity for sure. I played it with two other people, using a deck that I printed from the game's website.

Once all the cards are drawn, the battle begins. The players debate over which warrior/item combination would win, and what they would do to achieve that victory. It's a good time for all.

My ghetto-ass Story War Deck.
A bit of info on the deck and why it is go freaking hardcore: I cut out several pages at a time, leading to the cards being crooked and weird, which led to them being made fun of, which in turn led to them becoming total badasses(for a more in depth explanation of how this works, listen to A Boy Named Sue by Johnny Cash). Another thing was when I printed them my printer only had black and yellow ink, leading to their strange coloration.

Anyway, I had a blast playing this game, and after looking into it some more, I was psyched to find out that different ways to play the game are being developed, and I've started creating a loose plan to create my own. So, I'm looking forward to spending many Sunday afternoons playing this game with my friends, as it has a seemingly endless amounts of possibilities.

This game gets a 5/5 on the awesome scale, and is by far one of the most fun card games I have ever played.

No comments:

Post a Comment